Tuesday, June 26, 2007

My God, It's Incredible


A reclamation plant storing chemical waste exploded in Eau Claire WI., sending flames 30 feet into the air within half an hour. I guess the employees initially tried to put the fire out themselves using extinguishers. What dedication. After this failed to work, the fire department was called in and they tried to put the fire out.


At some point during the fire, they heard two loud bangs and they pulled out thinking that some chemicals were igniting. Sure enough, a short time later some chemical tanks which stored petroleum and paint solvents exploded sending flames and fire balls 400 feet into the air.


Apparently, the fire was so hot that people a quarter of a mile away said that they could feel it. Needless to say, the fire department decided to let the fire burn itself out.


One quote: "I was out on the road a ways from the fire, and it was so hot I had to move," Sheriff Ron Cramer said.


"That was a good idea," I say.


Another quote: "This is the biggest fire I've ever seen," Marilyn Zmuda said. "Oh my God, it's incredible."


Another report said that an ember from the explosion started a car fire at Eau Claire Ford.


"It's not a good day," WRR President and CEO Jim Hager said.


In light of this report I'd like to remind everybody to use proper safety precautions when dealing with flammable chemicals, and to ALWAYS put your cigarettes out In The Ashtray.

No comments: